Petra:
I awoke early for my exploration of Petra since I was in the habit of waking up early anyways, it came really easily. It turned out that my hotel wasn't the 3km from the park that the hotel manager had said, it was about 8km! I walked for about 6km of them and was just like, "there is no way I'm this slow!" I stopped and ate at an all you can eat breakfast. I was an absolute pig! I ate four bowls of cereal, five pita bread sandwiches with vegetables inside, two cups of coffee, three cups of orange juice, one slice of breakfast cake, and two bowls of fruit salad. What can I say? I think I was hungry from my exploits the day before or I'm just a glutton. Most likely a combination of the two...
Once I'd finished eating I went on my way and finally got to the entrance. I bought a two day ticket which was a mistake because I only stayed for one day. I was like a maniac when I got in the park. I explored everywhere, I'm guessing my breakfast of champions helped- Wheaties have got nothing on my breakfast of champions, there's is a poser breakfast! The place was really magnificent, I will say though that I was pretty jaded by the carvings and all that because of my travels through Egypt.
When I got to the Treasury (the building from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" or the place where Lawrence has his funeral in "Lawrence of Arabia") was pretty darn impressive! I was really disappointed that I couldn't explore inside of it, you can't win 'em all :) After the Treasury I went and bartered with an old Bedouin woman smoking this huge homemade cigar. It was really funny, she had this huge smile, probably five teeth, and then this beast of a cigar coming out of her mouth.
I moved on from haggling and went up to the Monastery, which was also really impressive. I met four Israeli guys, Mordecai, Avi, Ori, and Pel. We ended up eating together. They were interesting guys for sure. They wouldn't eat anything I offered them because they weren't sure if my food was kosher. We talked about military, the joys of traveling, America and it's influence on the world, Arab's, future, education, religion, and the meaning of life. They were really good guys for sure! I ended up spending the day seeing stuff with them.
After eating with them we went to a ton of different places, "The View of the End of the World"- the name isn't accurate at all, "The High Place of Sacrifice"- I climbed an obelisk here, and the "Spring"- turned out to be a six inch deep pond and was disappointing at the least.
The day came to a close and I said farewell to my newly made Israeli friends after getting there email addresses. When I got back to the hotel, I kind of just got this impulse of wanting to get the heck out of there and back to school. I decided to leave the following morning at this point. The idea of 20 or more hours of travel wasn't too inviting for me.
I went to the "Petra by night show an hour after getting back to my hotel. It was really gorgeous and almost soothing. The Siq was lined with candles and they had some local talent doing a musical performance by the entry way of the Treasury. After the show, I snuck into the Treasury and had a look around. The tombs didn't have secret tunnels like I was hoping, but it was fun. I soon left the park and went to eat at a local place. It was a good cultural experience. There were locals getting up and singing together with a guitar and drum. I ate another huge meal and then headed back to my place exhausted. I slept GOOOOOOOOD!!
Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment