The days are getting increasingly interesting lately. My job position has switched around a lot as of late. I am now teaching a Bible class to the 10th grade and a vocabulary to the "B-Group" of the 9th grade, also known as the misfits, slow learners, and/or they speak VERY LITTLE English. It is always frustrating finishing the day with this class because they are a little bit ridiculous, to say the least. It always leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth when I finish class with them because they are, with the exception of the about 1/4 of the class, rude and disrespectful. It is funny to me how how the measures I have to take as a disciplinarian crescendo as the classes get younger. I think the 9B graders are used to "push-over" SMs that are willing to go the extra mile for them and allow them to get away with laziness because it is hard to not be really sympathetic to them. For some this is their 2nd year here and for some, it is their third 3rd year repeating in the same grade. I want to be personal and get to know them, but there is no way I can do that with them. I think I will have to be ruthless with them first, we'll see...
When I came here I was immediately impressed by the work ethic of my 11th grade class and by the intensity of my roommates. I assumed that the whole school was a focused, hardworking group of kids, but it isn't that way. It is utterly fascinating that it seems wherever I go there is always the same class system. There are the complete slackers, the hardworkers who are driven by fierce dedication, the talented group of kids that "coasts" through because they can rely on their abilities to allow for their laziness (a very BAD way to live), and then there are the middle ground average group that has a bit of all of the above traits. You would think that the similarities to the American education system would be different, but they are pretty close to alike. It is humorous to watch the 17 and 19 year old Egyptian 10th graders act like the 15 and 16 year old 10th graders in America. In Geometry I have been teaching symmetry and I will have to say that they are pretty darn symmetrical! Even with the age gap... What causes them to act like this I'm really not sure. Maybe it is the fact that this is a boarding academy and when you are in your 2nd to 3rd year of school you act a certain way? I don't know.
The one thing that I am learning very quickly as I write this is that there will always be diversity. There is always a gap between the motivated and the unmotivated. I don't know how life would be if everybody was extremely focused and disciplined, what would it be like?Even at the service academies; West Point, the Naval Academy, and the Air Force Academy in particular there is the same distinct difference between "classes" I guess you could call them. How do I know? I have friends at each one of them and they say that there are completely lazy people there. I guess it is a much more concentrated talent pool and a slacker there might be viewed as extremely focused at a party school, like Florida State. The fact still stands, though, that there always seems to be the same system of the focused and not focused.
It brings me to a point, is there the same social system within the Christian Church?? I would like to make a conjecture and say, "yes." People are people wherever you go and I don't know what to think. It turns out that someone who is "lazy" in the Christian faith ends up coming short of the standard of being an ideal "Christian." Does God hold it against the unmotivated person that can't get their stuff together and be a better person? I fall in that category. I know that the Bible says somewhere that we are saved by grace and we can never be good enough, except by accepting the blood of Christ. So are we saved all of the time and we can just go do whatever we want or does God look at our level of effort? And in that case what about the people that don't try hard? Is it only the hard workers who go to heaven because they are intentional about pursuing Him that make it? Well time to help a student with Algebra, as the Egyptians say all the time when they're done talking to you- "God be with you" or the classic American "Goodbye"
Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good thoughts, Bro. I'll be pondering. Random thing regarding your parting words: just looked it up to confirm and found that the term "goodbye," similar to "assalam alaikum," was once "God be with you." The phrase has morphed over the centuries, influenced in particular by the phrase "good day," but originally wished the presence of God on the other person. You can see it just by looking at the word. May try to use this more intentionally, myself.
Keep writing.
Post a Comment