Takin' It Easy at Karnak

Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Traveling Adventure- Part 1

I went on my first trip outside of Cairo this last week. I have to say that it was one of the best things that has happened to me since I've been in Egypt. It felt so good to get out of Gabel and see other sights. I realized that since I have been here I have seen nothing but buildings. It was a funny thought when I realized it at first because I'm so used to seeing open space. In Gabel you can't see anything but another wall. It's kind of confining at times, but really cool at the same time because it is a giant maze.

The traveling contingent consisted of Daniel, Monte, Miguel, and me. We started by getting a mini bus ride from Gabel to the train station at New Marg or El Margigidda. From there we pushed our way to the front of the ticket line and got a ticket on the metro. It's interesting here how nobody waits in line. You go up to the mass of people and you push your way to the front and slam your one pound note in the window to get your ticket. At first I was offended, but then I just realized that it was the culture and that was how they did things. We jumped on board the metro and headed to Mubarak. It's interesting being on the metro because everybody just stares at you. It was awkward at first because I didn't know what to do so I just kept looking back at the people, but not staring back. It was funny because usually when you look back at somebody they will look away but not here! They just keep looking at you! It's kind of disarming at first, but it's a good experience because now I just don't even care when they're staring.

After the metro we got out and went out into the city. Mubarak is a lot cleaner than Gabel and , for the most part, I'd say that it is pretty developed. We stopped at a juice shop and I'm going to have to say that it was the best juice I've had! I had a 'cocktail' (also known as a big combination of fruits in a cup and then they give you a spoon) and then a big glass of mango juice. It was so good! The mango juice is cold, fresh, and there are still chunks of the mango in the juice- SOOO GOOD! It was cheap, too- 2 Egyptian pounds=$0.40. After we finished up with the juice we got to the bus station and got our tickets for our bus that was "supposedly" leaving in 15 minutes. We got in the bus and left 30 minutes later than pulled out a 20 minute drive from the station and then just waited for an hour. Evidently there was "engine trouble" aka the driver wanted to eat since it was 6:00pm and he could then break the Ramadan fast for the night. Time is different in Egypt, the clocks work differently. I don't know how they do it, but they can stop the clock and just do what they want! Craziness, you say? Not in the least bit! Anyways, we pulled out once the driver had eaten with a group of friends and then pulled away towards Sharm and that is where "Traveling Adventure- Part 2" will begin.

1 comment:

Newbie said...

Bro, if the mango juice flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm moving to Egypt tomorrow. Be right there.

Take pictures, Ese. Or face the consequences.

Peace.

The Doorway

The Doorway
The Journey Begins...