Doesn't that title sound great? We arrived at the Red Sea after our long excursion and I have to say that it was one of the greatest sights I've seen in awhile. There was the Sinai mountain range reaching towards the sky on my right side and clear blue water in front of me. We wandered through the seemingly quite town for awhile in an attempt to find a hotel room and finally got two rooms at the "Alaska Camp". I know what you're thinking, what kind of a name is "The Alaska Camp" for a place in Egypt. I asked myself the same question. It was fun to go into the lodging areas and haggle with the receptionist because it kind of seems like a game. At first I was shy to do this, but as my desperation grew to get a place to stay, so did my intensity in dealing with the guys. We had to 'yank some teeth' to get our room with the guy at the Alaska Camp and it all worked out well.
Once we had settled into our nice new hostel with an unfinished ceiling, we felt our stomachs calling us to go get some food. This was a really interesting experience. As you walk down the street facing the Red Sea, there are lots of restaurants lining the bay and in front of those restaurants is a guy I would say his in the same bloodline of a 'used-car salesmen'. These guys will tell you anything, do anything, and be anything to get you in their restaurant. They had a lot of charisma and were really coercive in trying to get us to eat at their places. They would talk with us, then show us the menu and then they would put their hand on the small of my back and try to shove me in! It was hilarious to me, but I didn't really blame them to much because I know that they are just trying to get some money. Anyways, so we ended up eating at this Chinese restaurant with a bunch of pillows on rugs (kind of like couches) and just relaxed. It was nice to see something truly beautiful and give myself time to just clear my head and analyze. Oh and enjoy some Egyptian tea ;). I probably spent a total of 10 hours at this place reading, journaling, and then I'd take a short little hop into the Red Sea to take a nice swim. It was a fantastic place and, what I would describe as, truly peaceful.
Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment