These are random experiences that have happened during my time here, but I never wrote them down and they are quite memorable.
-We were in a huge hurry to get to vespers one night and we had just moved into villa 4, but we still didn't have a key. So we were standing outside the door talking about going and getting the key from Mr. Dwight when "BAMMMMMMMMMM!!!" I didn't get to see it in full view, but out of the corner of my eye I saw Daniel kicking in the door. Beautiful. I was jealous of him then and I regret to say that I am still jealous of him now!
-After every staff meeting Monte and I make a point of going out into the town to buy a Berill. It is our way of making a tradition of "celebrating the guts to stand for freedom" because usually some of the local staff have some pretty outrageous ideas of how to run the school. Monte and I always stand behind Mr. Dwight because he is hands down one of the wisest guys I know! Anyways, we go out and get our Berill's and then make a toast to "freedom and liberty." It's a great tradition.
-Ever since Christmas Break, Monte and I have made a tradition that we go and eat pancakes, eggs, and potatoes on top of our villa roof after we teach PE on Friday mornings. It's a really relaxing time for us to just talk about life, the experiences that we're having, and our thoughts on the stuff we go through with our students. I think it is one of the things I'll miss most about Egypt when I leave.
-I've got this song that has become my theme song being here "Live to Win" by Paul Stanley and every time Monte or I plays it in the villa- we belt the song out as loud and obnoxiously as we can. I have really grown attached to that song, I've got to admit it.
-One time I slept in and Monte threw one of our cats, Bigfoot, on me and I woke up to the feeling of these claws on my face. In a blind panic I ripped the cat off of me and threw it because I had no idea what it was, but the thing was that I threw it over on Daniel and then Daniel woke up really angry and threw the cat against the wall. Monte was laughing so hard! That poor little cat, it has been through a lot...
-One morning I was sitting around in my boxers, checking my email, and Miguel (the guy from Spain) comes up to me with this completely stoic, sincere expression on his face and asks me, "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" I replied, "Ya, go for it." Then he says to me, "Why do you always walk around in your underwear?..." I don't know why it was so funny to me, maybe it was because he was so honestly wondering, but I started laughing so hard!! It was just something I would have never thought of as being different, because to me there's nothing wrong with walking around in your boxers at home. I'm guessing, ONLY GUESSING, that it is slightly different in Miguel's home!
-Finally, one time after I had just finished up helping the student's at study hall I was walking back to our villa when the need to use the bathroom came upon me. I figured- "Well there is a tree right here and I might as well water it!" I just finished up giving the tree the sweet nourishment that it needed for survival and I turned around to see the girl's dean walking by!!! I won't deny that is the most embarrassed I have been in a long time. I said, "I'm so sorry!!" She just waved her hand across her face- embarrassed as I was, laughed, said- "Mish mushkilla (no problem)," and kept walking. Needless to say, I'm a lot more cautious when I choose a tree to nourish!
Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What is a berell?
Post a Comment