Takin' It Easy at Karnak

Takin' It Easy at Karnak
Welcome to my blog

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Work

I've got to say that there are few things in life that are fulfilling as working hard. Over the past few days I've been working my butt off and they've been some of the best days that I've had in awhile. Thursday I ended up waking up late and went straight to the Ad Building at 6:50am and I didn't finish up my work at the school until 8:20pm. It was a particularly busy day because I gave out tests to all four of my classes and so I had to grade all of them to have them ready for class Sunday. At first I was dreading the idea of having to get all of the work done, but once I got started on it- things just started to flow.

I would do class preps in between my classes and then the grading started during my lunch break. After I worked through my lunch, the day just kind of melded into one mass of grading. I definitely know that I need to quit giving so many essay questions to my History class, but back to what I was saying! I was getting really agitated as the day went on, but I had a break from the grading to go and teach a class a 4:00 and it was the PERFECT break.

I wasn't looking forward to going to the class because the period before I'd done something that I never wanted to happen- I took a nap and I didn't wake up until the class had been over for two hours! I knew that I needed to tell the class why I wasn't there and once again I didn't really feel like admitting my mistake. It turned out being great, none of them tried to hold it over me that I'd missed the class or give me a bunch of trouble about it. They just laughed, said, "That's OK Mr!" and the class was just fun from there.

When I finished that class, I went back to the staff room and put my "nose to the grinder" and worked straight through until 8:20. I won't deny for a second that it felt great to be done. It was something that I could have put off, but I didn't and I feel that I "earned" my right to relax this weekend- even though I worked pretty hard on Friday, too.

Monte, Daniel and I ended up working like animals to get the villa cleaned up. I cleaned the bathroom for the first time since we've moved into villa 4 and arguably scrubbed down the shower for the first time in its life. It took me two hours of scrubbing, scrubbing, and more SCRUBBING to get the place clean, but when I finished the place honestly looked brand new. The tiles were all nice and shiny, the shower didn't look like somebody had painted a white bath tub brown anymore and the toilet was no longer coated with a brown glaze beneath the water. I stepped back when I was done and I smiled because I knew that I'd basically remodeled the bathroom. Now when I walk in there, I smile each time because the place is glowing and my work got the job done.

I don't know exactly when my psyche got reversed to feel so obligated to get work done, but I'm glad my "software is getting reprogrammed." There are far too many fulfilling things in life that I know I'm going to miss if I'm always trying to just get by and do what it takes to get the job done. Life with all of its daily work, difficulties, and demands included, is GOOD!

No comments:

The Doorway

The Doorway
The Journey Begins...